Sunday, May 6, 2012

Recipe: My Family's Taters

First things first, let me say that I am so sorry that I haven't been blogging for like the last month. For those of you who are event planners, I'm sure you can relate. April and May are the atomic bombs of the event planning year.

However, I'm making it up to you all by posting a new recipe. It's one of my favorites that my daddy actually came up with. As a Southerner, he's great at creating his own one-of-a-kind completely unhealthy recipes. Plus, it's super easy! I call this recipe Cornbread Taters.

Cornbread Taters
Ingredients:
5-6 potatoes (you can do sweet potatoes or regular, or both)
1/2 onion (chopped coarsely)
Corn Meal

Peel the potatoes and cut into french fry-like shapes. My dad does this very coarsely so they look more like longer chunks of potatoes instead of fries, but how you cut them is up to you. Put the chunks into a gallon sized Ziploc bag. Then cut up the 1/2 onion coarsely and put into the Ziploc bag with the potatoes. Once you've got everything put into the bag, add about 1/2 to 1 cup of corn meal to the bag. Close the Ziploc bag and shake. It's like Shake-and-Bake for potatoes. Make sure the corn meal lightly coats the potatoes.

Then fry the mixture of potatoes, onions and corn meal. I like to fry my potatoes in an electric skillet because they cook more evenly, but it's also fine to do it over the stove. Just make sure you watch the temperature, because the sweet potatoes tend to burn easily.

Once they're done, pull them out and let them cool. Lightly salt. The corn meal on the potatoes gives them a little bit of a crunchy texture, and the onion gives it all a really great savory flavor. I'm telling y'all, these potatoes are the most requested recipe in our family.

Enjoy, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment